Electricity Act,2003 provides that the Government may prescribe or direct, inter-alia, to promote measures for advancing the skill of persons engaged in the electricity industry and promote research in matters affecting the generation, transmission, distribution and training of electricity.
A National Training Policy for the Power Sector has been formulated by the Ministry of Power, Government of India. The salient features of the Policy are as under :
- All organizations should adopt a formal written training policy to ensure training for all personnel for a minimum period of one week annually.
- A comprehensive training plan should be formulated by each power utility based on periodic training needs analysis
- A minimum of 1.5% of the salary budget of the organization may be allocated for training to begin with this should gradually be increased to 5% of the salary budget
- Networking amongst various organizations under the Ministry and other reputed institutes should be done for optimal use of training infrastructure and intellectual resources.
- Induction level training should be made mandatory for transmission & distribution (T&D) personnel similar to the generation personnel
- Adequate infrastructure for training including hydro power, transmission and distribution and non-conventional energy should be developed
- Simulator training at suitable intervals should be made mandatory for operation staff of the power plants.
The policy emphasizes the idea that money spent on training is an investment not and expenditure. The National Training Policy (NTP) also highlights the need for planning for training as an integrated Human Resource Development (HRD) activity with a commitment to imparting training for all in the power sector at entry level as well as in-service.
click here for National Training Policy for the Power Sector
The Central Training Institute (CTI) , Nayagaon Jabalpur (M.P.) India and is apex training Institute of MPPKVVCL (wholly owned by the Government of Madhya Pradesh) which provide Induction training, Refresher training , On-job Training and routine training to all employees of MPPKVVCL. The present employee strength is about 15 thousands which includes officers (class-I and II), engineers, Technical staff such as line men, non-technical staff such as office assistants etc.
The Central Training Institute Nayagaon Jabalpur is an ISO:9001:2008 certified institute which have state of art Air condition class rooms with projectors , computer center, library, testing laboratories, workshops etc. It has most experience faculty from Power Sectors and academia.
The Central Training Institute Jabalpur is also partner training institute and recognised by Power Finance Corporation (PFC) and Rural Electrification Corporation (REC) , Ministry of Power, Government of India.
RELATED LINKS :